Thursday 22 October 2015

Location Scouting - [Military Training Site]


When I created my AS media film I wasn't to concerned about the location and the whole affair was very last minute. However within a music video I will be going to a variety of different locations because music videos are very fast pace and the average amount of locations, which I calculated from my research was four different locations for the performer(s). I will aim to match this average because it allows me to have more options when editing. Furthermore I want to be able to overshoot on set to be able to get around double the amount of shots I need because it means that if I can't get the shot I want or another shot doesn't work I will have some to back up. I always do this because it avoids re-shoots. Re-shoots are really frustrating and must always try and be avoided because they take up valuable time in the shooting schedule and if the scene s only on screen for five seconds in a music video it becomes even more of a burden. The locations that I have looked at are broken down abandoned places, areas in school and military themed locations. The mise en scene in my music video is very important because I have so little time per shot to keep an audience gripped and to withhold a narrative. I will have to do extensive research into location, costume and props to help me construct a gripping visual narrative. 

   
These images are taken at the location that I am looking into filming at, this location is a two hour drive away or an hour train ride. This means that I will have to be really organised because it is unlikely that I could return to reshoot anything once I have left. This is because it is still an active military training site, the site is only open 50 days a year. The reason for that is because they often hold live fire exercises in the abandoned town. The town was abandoned after the second world war, which provides a close link to my idea of conflict and I think this would add depth to my music video. The reason I want
this military link is because the song is called Battelfield.

This is the perfect location for my shoot because I could get everything I want from one location. Problems that come with this location is the accessibility due to the short window we have to shoot and the opening hours of 6pm - 8am.  Furthermore I doubt that this place has running power supplies, which means a whole lot of batteries for lighting and camera equipment. This means that I will have to make sure everything has enough charge before we get there or we can't film anything.  Another option
would be to charge the lights from a car battery if possible. Another problem is the opening hours are for the public, this means that the site will not be exclusive for us. The site is actually open for people to pay their respects, this is my biggest concern because we don't want to be disrespectful towards the visitors and disrupt their visit. This is why I want to get permission to film their before I go because I don't really want to upset the army.

No comments:

Post a Comment