Wednesday 14 October 2015

Product Research - [Glidecam vs Shoulder mount]



I wanted to achieve a sense of floating through music video because it is based in the characters head, I wanted to take the conventions often found in K-pop when they are dancing the camera is often moving towards and away from them, which creates this abstract floating effect. To keep the motion smooth I have to keep my hands away from the body of the camera. Due to my budget being to low to have a crane on a dolly track I have started to research alternatives. The first product I had in mind was the extremely well priced shoulder mount. This multi-purpose mount doesn't do one thing specifically instead a variety of different technical aspects just not to professional level. This is a great option for an amateur film maker because although it's not at professional level you can achieve very similar results for a fraction of the price. The reviews for the product consistently say this is great value for money however is NOT  a professional replacement. Obviously this product will not stand the test of time as well but I think that it will do the job fine.
This could achieve the style I want however I will look another product to compare them .



The glide cam has slightly less positive reviews but more consistent in terms of the range of views. When looking at the glide cam it really only has one function compared to the multifunction mount however the quality of the build is much better, this means that the mount will last much longer. The style that the glide cam provides unlike the multi mount because the way the camera is held is completely different. I would want to buy this because glide cams also require skill and I love the unique shots you get.


No comments:

Post a Comment