Saturday 19 December 2015

My EUREKA moment! - New camera settings [Research]


Within media I am often faced with challenges I set for myself or that arise while I am making my media projects but I had never realised how something so simple could have such a vast effect. While I was editing my test shots and experimenting with the VFX I noticed that my videos were infected with 'grain' or 'digital noise'. I thought at first that it was because my footage was not rendered properly but that was not the case, so I then thought that it was because I did't have enough lighting so that cause the grainy look but that was still not the case as shown by my test shots. So I was left frustrated with my camera for not performing and went to the internet in search of answers or people having the same problem. I spent hours trying to find someone who could give me an answer but still no luck... but then, while I was shooting a promotional video for the school I realised the problem. The reason my camera was performing so badly was because of ISO and various settings, which I must have tampered with. This led to me going into extensive research into camera settings. While researching I learnt about using the camera's manual mode to set the camera to film as flat as possible, you can achieve this by either film in RAW or using the camera settings that I now use. So now before I film anything I am always checking my settings and learning about different ways to achieve the style I want before post production, which has improved my ability within filmmaking by miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment