Friday 26 February 2016

Feedback - Focus groups




Focus Groups

To get feedback for my music video I created several focus groups both online and at school, this allowed me to see what people thought of the music video so far and allowed me to change certain aspects appropriately. The focus groups at school consisted of older teenagers to young adults because I felt that this was my target audience for a 'rap' music video. I further included a balanced variety of ethnicity and gender to try and get an accurate source of feedback. I wanted to ask questions to do with editing, pace and style as I felt that these were all important aspects in my video. I further wanted to see if they understood the mini narratives within the performance style or if it was too much to communicate in such a short space of time. 

In the school focus groups I collected my results using paper as shown in the image above and I asked for the positives and negatives of both the music video and the album cover. I felt that audience theory played a close part to this and it took a lot of time to set this up correctly to get an accurate result. I needed the results to be accurate because it would heavily influence my product, this meant that I had to make the experience easy for the viewer so that this doesn't effect their result. This includes making sure that the sound and video are working; that the audience is comfy so this doesn't make the experience bad. This is because a bad experience will make people think that the media they are about to watch is bad, I discovered this when researching audience theories. I will be showing the audience a variety of versions that they can compare.

Video Feedback

The feedback that I received was fairly positive for the music video but I also received a lot of criticism to improve the video. Common aspects that the audience liked included editing, which was mentioned throughout the feedback I received, often commenting on the VFX and fast pace. These are both elements that I am going to translate into my final product because the audience seemed to respond well towards them. The blue version within one of the edits caused some controversy because some loved it and others hated it and said it look amateur. My response to this is that I may use it in certain parts of the video but not throughout. Another scene that was well liked was the 'mints' because it was fast and clever, this will be included within the final version. 

A common improvement is that some shots have been held too long that causes the fast pace to be ruined and really took the audience out the experience. In addition a lot of people said some shots were too dark, which is an issue that has to be address before the final product is shown. On the other hand the lighting in some sections was praised, so I will have to evaluate my approach to keep it consistent throughout the video.  

Album Cover

The feedback for the album cover again offered vital feedback but it was hindered at one point by the projector not showing the full range of colours that were required to see the album cover, this made it harder to get an accurate response. I overcame this by hosting an online session with the fans of the artist. The strengths of the album included the professional look and style of the cover, this included typography and photography. There was not many major improvements in the school session, they mainly consisted of touching up colours and positioning of the photos. However in the online version someone pointed out the text was slightly to dark and that the colours created a grey boarder. Another improvement was to maybe have the whole album black and white and maybe have more variety of photos and poses. This will be easier to create once I have completed the video because I know what actions will be included, which I can translate into the album cover.





No comments:

Post a Comment