Wednesday 20 January 2016

Chiaroscuro - Film Noir - [Lighting Tests]


To see how I could improve the shots for the re-shoot I just used photos in order to experiment with lighting ideas, this is because I wanted to see how many lights I would need in order to create the low key light. This was further a test to see if my camera settings would need to be altered but they held up fine and I am now confident going into the re-shoot.

In order to create this Film Noir look I only used a single key light that I got my camera man to adjust, I ended up liking the light being underneath the subject more than above because it outlined the features of the face while maintaining the depth in the background.So that it would further help me I did a similar position to Fraser so that I can refer back to this image to see what I am going for.



In photoshop I tried to keep the adjustments minimal because I wanted to focus on the lighting more than post production because I see the editing stage more as an extension of what I do on set. This meant that I only converted it to black and white and adjust the brightness and contrast. All these same affect can be achieved in a video editor so it is easy to apply the same ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment