Wednesday 10 June 2015

Research: Brief 1 Music Video


This unit will assess the following:
  • AO3: your ability to plan and construct media products using appropriate technical and creative skills
  • AO2: your application of knowledge and understanding in evaluating your own work, showing how meaning and responses are created
  • AO4: your ability to undertake, apply and present appropriate research
You will produce the following:
  • a media portfolio, comprising a main and ancillary texts
  • a presentation of your research, planning and evaluation in electronic format

When it comes down to this brief I believe that very specific skills are required in order to pull off the professional look that just about every music video has in the modern age. This is because I will have to research what makes a good music and what doesn't by analysing other peoples work from semi-professionals like YouTubers all the way to the professionals at the top of the music business. I will have to research conventions for different genres of music and see of I can use them  or defy them if I was to make my own. Furthermore I will be looking at past examples from A2 students to see how close they got to creating a professional music video.

Firstly I went on the internet to have a look at some of my favourite music videos, this was important for me because I am not the biggest fan of music; I am more of a visual person. However I do love it when a music video compliments the music and they work in unison to create a truly amazing experience. 

I looked at several music videos from both YouTubers such as 'Smosh' and 'NigaHiga' to get an idea of what they have done even though they aren't fully considered 'professionals' although I'm sure others would argue differently. This is because these people aren't mainstream music artists and usually make music videos that either mock the mainstream industry or simply defy the conventions within it. The reason for me looking at these is to get a better understanding of what can be achieved by using and defying conventions.
         
Furthermore I looked at music artists considered to be more 'professional' because they are within the music industry and have made countless hits both on the web, television and radio. The artists included: Eminem, Taylor Swift and Sia. This is because of their incredible music videos made with extreme budgets and bundles of talent. I looked at these because I wanted to know what makes a music video different from a film with music and how they allow a story to be told while still maintaining a music video.

These music videos are all very different, this is because they have different objectives besides entertainment. Firstly we have the two YouTubers 'Smosh' who's aim in this video is to sell their constant running joke of "Dixon Cider". This shows the comical aspect of some music videos, which is rare in the mainstream industry but is often seen as a common theme across YouTube with creators such as: The Lonely Island, Bart Baker and Shane Dawson all using music videos to parody artists like Taylor Swift. This tells me that making a music video like this would have to contain visual jokes/gags that link in to the lyrics in order for this to work. I also know that this would only work with songs wrote for the video and would have to be planned together. This is possible however would take a lot longer because I would have to work with someone to write a song.         


Sia's music video 'Chandelier' focusses on emotion through both the hard to understand lyrics and the power of dance. The reason I looked at this is because of the beautiful simplicity of the video, by following this child dancer around the warn down decaying house presented in the silence at the beginning provided a massive impact when the chorus kicked in. This shows that the music video can really help the music get the message and emotions across. However as this would be my fist music video I wouldn't be to confident in pulling this off because I would firstly need really good lyrics and an even better idea for the music video. On the other the equipment used to make this was straight forward and easy to get hold of, therefore I would defiantly try it if I found an artists. Lastly I loved the colour correction in the video because of the greys and blacks, which made the sunlight really look magical.

Eminem's music videos are extremely well made however I really liked 'RapGod' because the music video helps the build up towards one of the fastest raps I have ever heard. This is also great because of the use of a green screen in the video to create digital backgrounds to link with the lyrics "Rapbot". The use of the video provides an impact in all of these videos making it very important that the song links well and that they work together in order to create this impact. The issues I have with the music video is the artist and the song because I need to pick a genre and at the moment I am unable to choose one if I was to do this. Furthermore the music video I have in mind requires a lot of editing and time, which I don't know if I have yet. The next step I shall take is analysing past students work and seeing if it's possible to achieve and then look at the other brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment