Friday 18 September 2015

Album Cover Research - Analysis

Album covers are an essential part of promotion within the music industry, the album cover can depict the artists tone, genre and style. This is all important information that the target audience requires when making the decision whether to buy the album or not. The information is sent in the form of signs, which connote ideas and messages about the music and the artist. This is very much like how we use semiotics in film because it portrays the artist much like in film we portray characters. 


The album cover above is by my chosen artist, I believe that is important to see what is included within his previous album cover because I can use the conventions that I like within this cover and challenge or defy the ones I don't. The character in the doorway has been created using Dan's logo, this is important because its what Dan's fan base expect to see. I find that small things like this have a very large effect on the audience because they value their artists and some would be offended if I was to leave this out. I will have to decide whether I want to incorporate it straight into the design and work around it or create a design and then incorporate the logo after. Furthermore I would like to look into using more colour than this darker tone - silhouette look. I do like the shadows representing game characters because afterall that's what he raps about but I want my album cover to present the idea of conflict.


Joywave are a rencently formed American rock band, this is one of their rencent album covers. Joywave has used a distored picture of the lead singer in order to connote a fresh digital look to the rock scene. I want to look into creating these kind of images because of the lyric in my chosen song "digital illusion" which I want to play on visually. I find the image very eye catching because of the almost distorted glitch effect the image contains.The glitch can connnote that they are abstract compared to the normal everyday, which is further connoted by the blank background. Being able to have these massages allows me to show load about my artist and his music instantly. The photo its self is very well shot because of the use of colours, the back and silvery grey all match, which makes the centre eye stand out boldly.


The controversial album cover of Nirvana's 'Nevermind' shows exactly what the band is about. The image connotes the absurdness of the band with the unusual placement of a baby underwater. The situation can be seen as dangerous for the baby, almost creating it's own narrative.  The innocence of the baby could connote that we are all corrupted by the money and it drowns us. The clear blue water creates a strong colourful background, which connotes depth. The hook itself shows that humans will always be enticed by money because that is how we have been brought up.Lastly the serious text contrasts the outrageousness of the image making the text stand out as almost there to create irony or a statement. The image as a hole has been said to connote a lot about corporate America and politicians. In terms of users and gratifications I believe that this album cover is deliberately trying to be controversial and try and offend people ignored the album to be promoted further through debate and magazine coverage.


Cherry Bomb created by Tyler, the creator has a unique look when it comes down to creating an album cover because firstly it is animated. The animation takes on the style of 'doodling' which I think connotes the genre of alternative rap. The use of bright colours against a blank background makes the colours look bolder and brighter. I will look into the use of bright colours and bold backgrounds because it seems to be a reoccurring convention within album covers.




No comments:

Post a Comment