Monday 14 September 2015

RHCP - Can't Stop [Concept Music Video]




The music video 'RHCP - Can't Stop' is the example I looked at to better understand concept structure within music videos. This music video is based off "One Minute Sculptures” of Vienna, the video uses naturalistic lighting to present the boldness of the group and the artist that they are relating to. The opening shot uses dynamic camera movement thorough a tunnel to connote the abstract ideas of both the art and the band. This presents rock as different and 'out there' compared to other genres within the music industry.  The bold use of colours further relates to abstract culture both in music and art. The video itself is a hybrid because of the mixing between performance and concept. The use of odd objects to relate back to the 'One minute sculptures' keeps the music video visually interesting for the viewer. This is important to me when creating my music video because firstly I want the music video to be visually interesting so that the viewer engages with the artist and the song. I loved the way in which the editing was fast pasted; cutting between scenes and back to scenes. This connoted the craziness of both the artist they are replicating and the musician/band in the video. This showed me that I do not have to have perfectly constructed full sentence lip synced sentences, I can cut between a narrative and performance, however I will want to have some concept too because of the visual aspect. The abstract ideas can be used in my music video in order to present the psychological ideas within my characters head. The use of VFX in the music is great because they do not take the audience boldly and scream "VFX!" they instead help push the concept forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment