Friday 25 September 2015

Conclusion - Album Covers / Adverts [Progress Tracker]


When I looked into music video album covers I wanted to find out how they are composed and constructed. I looked at the different forms of design and how the designers used typography, colour and composition.

 I learnt (can't change the colour?) that an Album covers are an essential part of promotion within the music industry, the album cover can depict the artists tone, genre and style. This is all important information that the target audience requires when making the decision whether to buy the album or not. This meant that i had to be able to meet my audiences expectations and still be original enough to attract new viewers to the album. 

The album cover has to reflect the songs within it and the artist themselves. I learnt that this is very similar to film in which we portray a character to an audience. This is exactly what we do with the artist, build a public image. I looked at various artists and albums to build my understanding of what I want to achieve on my cover. U looked at similar conventions like the bold text and fonts used on most album covers and the bold use of colours. These were all to make the album eye-catching to a new viewer but recognisable to a current fan of the artist. This is why it's important to look at previous album covers of the same artist to see what they kept the same and what changed. I found that my artist used the same logo throughout his albums covers, which I will defiantly incorporate into my work because it is s sign to do with DanBull. 

This lead me to research into signs because they are a powerful tool in design much like film. The signs often used on these album cover and adverts were to do with video games and violence, this is because 'rap' is seen as destructive and this actually attracts my younger audience because they like the fact that their parents are shut out their music. This is because their music is an escape from rules and restrictions in the everyday world. I learnt that to appeal to my target audience I have to use this as a sign in my design.

No comments:

Post a Comment